Sound complex? Rest easy; your school district can empower every educator to better identify individual student needs and deliver instruction to meet critical academic goals through progress monitoring.
What is Progress Monitoring?
Identify, Adjust, Empower
The Center on Response to Intervention explains that progress monitoring is a method that evaluates students’ academic performance between benchmarks and indicates the effectiveness of instruction before the next formative assessment. Successful at discovering a student’s rate of improvement or responsiveness to instruction,1 progress monitoring helps educators identify at-risk students early, adjust instruction accordingly, and empower students to achieve academic success according to their unique needs all on one platform.
The Benefits of Progress Monitoring
The experts at the National Center on Student Progress Monitoring note that, when implemented correctly, progress monitoring can help school districts and educators perform the following:
- Accelerate learning
- Make appropriate instructional adjustments
- Document every student’s academic advancement
- Communicate more effective progress information with a student’s family
- Minimize special education referrals2
Implementing Progress Monitoring
When considering the implementation of a progress monitoring system, the Center on Response to Intervention recommends administrators, educators, and support staff alike discuss the following factors:
- Level of implementation. Will progress monitoring be implemented district-wide or in select schools and classrooms?
- School needs. Does your school district or classroom need increased accountability and accuracy in student and class performance? How many times will students be assessed each year, month, or week?
- Resource and Staffing Plans. Will every faculty and staff member need to be involved? Or will a select few educators be the champions of the endeavor?
- Selection of a research-based and valid progress monitoring tool. What platform will meet your unique and desired goals and objectives?
- Ongoing, professional training. What support will staff receive to garner the full benefits of the progress monitoring tool and keep abreast of new strategies and goals?3
Your progress monitoring efforts will benefit from an established, well-thought-out plan.
Progress Monitoring with aimswebTMPlus
Systematic and frequent formative assessments are the most powerful tools for effective interventions. This is the foundation of progress monitoring with aimswebTMPlus: a reliable tool that delivers a wealth of robust student performance data.
Progress monitoring is about determining if intervention is impacting student achievement.
To help educators reach the level of instructional and intervention effectiveness that will move each child forward, aimswebTMPlus enables goal-oriented, frequent data collection that informs if a student needs additional support.
We believe that within every child is a powerful story of success. Students just need the right support to realize the immense potential they bring to the world. Progress monitoring with aimswebPlus allows every child who wants to achieve find success.
1 Center on Response to Intervention. “Progress Monitoring.” Retrieved April 21, 2016. http://www.rti4success.org/essential-components-rti/progress-monitoring.
2 National Center on Student Progress Monitoring. “Common questions for progress monitoring.” Retrieved April 21, 2016.
3 McLane, Kathleen. Center on Response to Intervention. “Getting Started: How Do I Implement Progress Monitoring in My School?” Retrieved April 22, 2016. http://www.rti4success.org/sites/default/files/howdoiimplementpminmyschool.pdf.